Saturday, January 3, 2015

Am I Charitable? What is charity anyway?



As I continue to follow this path of divvying my funds the way that God calls me, I find there is an urge to learn not only more about budgeting, but about how others see their resources.  What do I take for granted?  This can be an uncomfortable state of awareness in many ways.  As I am introduced to and reminded of the different ways that charity can present itself, I am also compelled to not only take note of my own lack of taking advantage of moments to be charitable, but to also take note of the town, neighborhood, peer base, and world I live in.  It means taking a moment to listen, acknowledge, and recognize my part when encountering those who would benefit from a charitable person.  This can happen daily!  Overwhelming when considering all the opportunities that present themselves in daily routines and interactions.  These opportunities we often train ourselves to be blind to-why?  My own realization is that embracing those moments may lead me to feel that I can not meet someone's needs, may ask me to give up something I cherish, or to look at myself in a different context.  

I have recently began reading the book Thrift Shop Saints by Jane Knuth.  One particular chapter has caught my attention an it illustrates the three common ways that charity often presents itself in our society.

1) We have extra resources, or specifically something we do not want or need and it makes us feel better to find someone who could use it rather than throw it away.

2) We have the means to provide a need for someone.  We either donate habitually in the form of goods or money or do so when the opportunity presents itself.

3) We have something we need (or thought we needed).  It is our only one.  We come into contact with someone who needs it to, and give it to them.  They now have what they needed.  

I have a pretty strong feeling that the third option is what God would define and recognize as Charity.  I have a long way to go.  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment