Saturday, January 17, 2015

Would It Have Been Better....?

This week as I prepared to move in with my Husband in less than a month--I began sorting.  Sorting for me involves a pile that is designated for Trash, a pile that is designated for Donating, and a pile that is designated for Selling.  As I finished my closet-and only my closet-my bag count totaled to this: Trash: 3  Donate: 4   Sell: 2.   HMMMM.  It appears that the items I buy are not worth very much to me.  This got me thinking.  At first I was pleased that earthly possessions did not mean a whole lot to me.  In my moving process, it didn't bother me to have to let go or separate from items.  Then, I began to realize that I had spend the money God gave me on worthless things.  SIGH....
What would those bags have totaled up to originally?  Would it have paid off a debt?  Would it have been better used to give it to someone who needed it-after all, in the end I was just giving it away anyway?

My future husband gave me the New Testament on CD, so that I could listen to it on my long trips.  It just so happened that I came across a scripture that mirrored my thoughts well - Luke 12:18 (NIV).

18 "Then he said, 'This is what I'll do.  I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store my surplus grain. 19 And I will say to myself, " You have plenty of grain laid up for many years.  Take life easy, eat, drink, and be merry."' 20 "But God said to him, 'You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you.  Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?'

No comments:

Post a Comment